History of Soccer - Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Name the all-time favorite soccer players.
There have been many glittering stars in the world of soccer. Some of the world-famed favourites include:
- Luis Figo: Figo from Portuguese was born on 4th November 1972. He won the U-16 European Championship and the 1991 World Youth Cup
- Raul Gonzalez: The Spanish player born on June 27th 1977 is a striker who is credited with 6 goals in first 11 games of his career
- Ronaldo: The Brazilian attacker started young at 12 years . He is a very popular soccer player.
- Diego Maradona: Maradona is still considered the most adept soccer player of all times
- Hristo Stoichkov: Stoichkov from Bulgaria made his debut with CSKA Sofia. After winning the Spanish Primera Division four consecutive times, he took his club to Champions League glory in 1992.
- Zinedine Zidane: The French player made his debut in French First Division and was later taken up by Bordeaux
- Trifon Ivanov: Ivanov is a popular international player from Bulgaria who won the Bulgarian championship in 1989, 1990 & 1992.
- David Beckham: England’s all time star, Beckham started at 16 with the youth squad of Manchester United in 1991. By 1998, he became so popular as to be chosen for England’s world cup team
- Pele: A historical name in soccer, Pele was the first man to attain stardom in the world of soccer. The Brazilian earned great fame through his talent on the ground.
- Pavel Nedved: Pavel is from Czech Republic and he made his debut at 19 with Dukla Praga. He was signed later by Praga’s competitors Sparta. The club won 3 successive league titles in 1993, 1994 & 1995
Q: What is the definition of Ball as per FIFA?
FIFA rules say the ball must be:
- Made of leather or other suitable material;
- Be no more than 28 inches nor less than 27 inches around (Size 5 ball);
- Weigh no more than 16 oz (one pound) nor less than 14 oz at the start of the match;
- Be inflated to between 8.5 and 15.6 lbs per square inch.
If anything happens to the ball during play, the referee must approve a new one first. The match restarts by a drop ball, if it was in play, or by restart appropriate if it was out of play. FIFA says a ball has to be approved by FIFA to be used in match play.
Q: What are the minimum requisites for a US Club Soccer member?
A club should have at least 3 competitive teams consisting of different age groups, arranged as a soccer club. Individual league teams can apply if they are members of a sanctioned US Club Soccer league. Soccer academics are allowed to apply as non-voting affiliate members with a condition. The condition is that they conduct training programs for a minimum of 50 players.
Q: What is the origin of soccer?
In China, a game similar to Soccer was played as early as 2nd & 3rd century BC during the Han dynasty. Romans and Greeks were also known to play what is now known as the soccer involving dodging and carrying balls. Historical evidence points that a similar game was played in Kyoto, Japan.